There are tons of furniture that are just dumped in landfills after they are thrown out by the owners. Furniture does have a long life, but it is not always recyclable, and even if some of its parts are, they take too much time and effort and hence are just easier to dump in landfills.
People engage in furniture buying a lot more than they really should. There are many ways to make homes stylish without having the need to replace major pieces of furniture.
The eco-friendly tips that I will be sharing will both benefit the environment and also help you save money at the same time.
Tips To Make Your Living Room More Eco-Friendly
Here are a few tips that you should consider if you want to make your living room a bit more friendly:
- You should definitely try to buy pieces of furniture that have multiple functions like, for example – a convertible sofa. Then when you have guests over, you would not need to buy additional guest beds and mattresses for them. It will come of help as a sofa during the day and can be simply rolled around to convert into a bed during the nighttime.
- Invest in a slipcover for the sofa, as that would keep the sofa new and clean for years to come. Although you are indeed purchasing extra materials for covering, this is for the greater good as this will then lead to you avoiding purchasing new furniture altogether (as they require a lot of materials to make).
- To add a bit of a novelty to the same living room, you could try rearranging the pieces of furniture to make the room look entirely different. Tip: You might want to think of the seasons while doing this – as to how far away or closer to the windows you want to sit.
- You could even consider rotating the statement pieces of furniture that you have in your living room throughout the year. By doing this and prepping up the decorations to match for that season, you are never going to be bored of your surroundings. Another way to do this is by giving the artwork and photo frames hanging on the walls of your living room a fresh coat of paint. Along with being eco-friendly, this would also save you money, as then you would then not have to buy whole new pieces of artwork.
- You should definitely consider using eco-friendly paints for renovation purposes. As many paints have harmful compounds in them like – VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds), which can be quite damaging to both the environment and human health as they lead to the depletion of the ozone layer and lead to pollution. Therefore, it is very important for us to switch from ecologically harmful to ecologically helpful substances. Some companies even specialize in the production of paints that specifically use very low amounts of VOCs.
- If you are looking for new rugs, then you could buy ones made with eco-friendly materials like seagrass, jute, or even recycled plastics. If you cover your floors this way, then you reduce the echoing of your home without the involvement or use of microplastics.
- You can opt for using the plants for decoration use. Instead of purchasing something costly which leads to environmental quality degradation, you should use plants that are eco-beneficial. There are tons and tons of plants available out there, and if you look into them, then I am sure that you will find something that totally matches your taste. The best thing about them is that not only do they make the place look nicer, but they also produce oxygen inside of the home that improves breathability in the fresh air. Also, an added fact is that they are much cheaper than those fake plants that are available to buy out there.
- Many people out there still use light bulbs(conventional) instead of LEDs. But over the long run, you can save much energy if you use LEDs since they are known to be very energy efficient. Utilizing LEDs will also lead to reduced electricity bills. There is no known advantage of Conventional light bulbs over LEDs, so this is all the more reason for you to adapt to them.
To Wrap It Up!
There are many ways by which you can convert your regular living room into a more eco-friendly place. Many of these tips are easy to apply too. You can also furthermore increase your ecological effect positively by persuading your friends and families about the importance of greener alternatives.
Thank you for reading up till here! I hope you found the information useful. Let me know in the comments your thoughts on the same.